Thursday 5 January 2017

Crohane Benaunmore and The Cappagh Glen. A great way to start the New Year

On New Years Day I went for a hike in one of my favourite places...The Cappagh Glen. A late start (celebrations and late to bed) meant it wasn't until 11.30 when I left the car. I wasn't worried as this is an area that offers outings that are not long but can be as short as you like. The mild weather of yesterday had been replaced by a strong bitingly cold wind but it was dry so I opted to turn and climb Crohane (650mtrs) first. After just a couple of hundred meters from the car you turn left and leave the sheep pastures behind and climb up through a narrow band of gnarly native trees before then up some steep rough bracken covered ground and then finally entering the open mountain. Now all that remains is a long slog to the rather shapely summit which had some icy grass on the final slopes. A brief rest to take in the views before dropping south and then west to finally reach Crohane West Top 477mtrs. I was then faced with a steep section down to the outlet of Lough Nabroda which proved treacherous with my smooth soled boots but with considerable care I arrived intact. Next comes a steep 200mtr climb to the volcanic peak of Benaunmore which is a truly wild a rugged hill even if it is only just over 450 mtrs high. It is a fairly simple job to then drop into the wooded wonderland that is the southern end of the Cappagh Glen which is without doubt one of the most special places in Kerry. Once back on relatively flat ground I was able to relax and walk easier but of course that is where I went arse over tit almost immediately 😭. Thankfully new boots are on the way 😁. I enjoyed the walk back out of the glen and I was soon back at the car and feeling very glad I had taken the effort to get out today. A great start to 2017👍
Quite lovely approaching the summit

Looking south towards the south top Benaunmore and Mangerton beyond



The Cappagh Glen




No comments: