Sunday 11 December 2016

The Hags Tooth Ridge,,,Beenkeragh to the Bone.

A nice early start saw me leave the car at Lisliebane at 08.30 and set of into the Hags Glen for another outing on The Reeks. It was quite windy and the cloud could be seen scudding across the tops of the East Reeks as I walked in. I had thought to start off by doing the Cnocnapeiste Ridge but I decided against it due to the strong wind and I opted instead for the Hags Tooth Ridge which gives a fine Grade 2 scramble (or perhaps a little harder if you pick the choicest bits) as it rises towards Beenkeragh 1009mtrs. My legs were a little tired as I had run 10K the previous day (the first time in a year 😊) and I had gone for a walk on Bweeng with Ruby but my knee was pretty good and I'm getting hopeful that the end of the injury is in sight. Anyway after a steep pull up a grassy gully I reached the base of the ridge and really enjoyed picking the best bits and I gradually gained height. Eventually the top of the tooth is reached and this is a great airy spot to rest awhile before tackling the more broken ground ahead which becomes mostly a steep slog as you near the summit. Reaching the top I sat and ate a snack and took in the views before setting off again.


Hags Tooth or Stúmpa an tSáimh



The view west
The wind was pretty buffeting and care was needed to ensure safe progress but it eased as I descended to cross the ridge towards Carrauntoohil. It is always a pleasure to cross this ridge and the pull to the roof of Ireland was soon over as well. I didn't stop and set off down to the top of the Devils Ladder before climbing Cnoc na Toinne and then Cnoc an Chuillinn where I had my lunch out of the wind. I continued on to the Bone where I turned for home. The descent went smoothly and again I was pleased with how my knee felt. I think perhaps the running is actually tightening up the supporting muscles and this seems to be supporting the ligament a bit..or at least I hope so. I reached the car at 14.20 so it had been an outing of just shy of 6 hours and all in all a very enjoyable day. Now all we want is for Santa to bring some snow😎.

Caher

The ridges of Carrauntoohils east face


Down into the Black Valley



No comments: