Tuesday 31 May 2011

The Reeks Walk.

After a completely knackering 17 kilometer run on Saturday last I went to Kerry for the Killarney MC annual walk of the Reeks. This walk is approx 18k long with 1800mtrs of ascent and traverses almost the entire range from Caher to Strickeen. Being stuck for time I struck out at a rapid pace and soon left the rest of the group of 16 behind. After a little while I started to feel a bit fatigued but a bit of food and an energy drink gave me a second wind and I continued on relentlessly. I was soon on the summit of Caher and as the day was relatively windless and the cloud was high I was able to really enjoy the easy ridge to Carrauntoohil and savour the stunning views. As by now I was feeling strong I didn't stop on the summit but instead jogged the path down to the col under Cnoc na Toinne. Up the boggy slope and down to  neath Cnoc an Chuillinn. This is the last tough rise of the day and I decided to put it behind me before I had lunch.
I really enjoyed my bite to eat in one of my favourite eerie's. I continued on apace and made short work of the ground to the summit of Cnoc na Peiste, at 988mtrs the fourth highest peak in the country. The ridge from here to the summit on Cruach Mor is one of the best in the country and offers exposed grade 1 scrambling along its one kilometer length. The rock being lovely and dry I stuck to the crest of the ridge and savoured the feeling of hands on rock and the isolated freedom that was mine today. From Cruach mor there is a longish decent to the col of Alohart and then up to Cnoc na Bracha. Pushing a good pace all the time I ran the decent to the long flat boggy plateau that leads to Strickeen. The bog was surprisingly dry and I was able to run a goodish section of that as well. The end result was that I was at the car four hours and fifty minutes after I started. Not too bad for a rapidly ageing, small white fella.

No comments: